Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Clothes That Wear Us


Virginia Wolfe (pictured above) said,
Vain trifles as they seem, clothes have, they say, more important offices than merely to keep us warm. They change our view of the world and the world’s view of us… There is much to support the view that it is clothes that wear us and not we them; we may make them take the mould of arm or breast, but they mould our hearts, our brains, our tongues to their liking.
I've been giving this a bit of thought, seeing as how clothing choices for me are based strictly on the whim of the moment. As I don't really have a meaningful public presence that requires people see me dressed in any certain way, I can just wear what I like. I fully believe that our clothes change the world's view of us. The idea that what I wear might affect my view of the world and might mould me into their own stamp is interesting. I'm not sure I believe it, and I don't know how to test it without going out and buying completely different clothes. My philosophy: Comfort first! so I tend to wear a lot of loose tunics over light-weight cotton pants or shorts in the hot weather. In the winter I live in sweat pants. I wonder if I would see the world differently if I dressed in men's-styled suits or dressy dresses and heels. I'll never know, but it's an interesting thought. The world would certainly see me in a different way, that's certain.

quote via This article at BrainPickings.org

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I'm going to check the link. I'm not sure of the effect my clothes choice has on how the world views me but I do know the choices effect me. Mostly I slouch around the place in loose pants and a tee. When I actually get dressed to go out to lunch or meet a friend for coffee I feel much better. I don't dress fancy but what I put on is nicer in quality and with the addition of a little jewelry and a swipe of lipstick I begin to stand up straighter and have more energy. Hmmm. There seems to be a lesson for me in here somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I did the Fly Lady, she had an emphasis on getting fully dressed first thing (including shoes) that I just never did understand. I don't notice acting different depending on what I wear, but it'd be interesting to check that out.

      Delete
  2. I admit I used to be a clothes diva back in the late 1980s. I could truthfully admit that I never had to wear the same outfit twice. Style often took center stage, but comfort always came first. Back then, I was so tiny, I could wear girls 14X. Of course, I was very price conscious, too. I can only think of ONE time I bought something that wasn't either on sale or clearance.

    Today I wear what my very, very large friends pass down to me. I haven't purchased anything in at least 10 years, so that says something about me. Lately, I've noticed the clothes I wear are literally falling off me, so I'm going to have to change my ways soon.

    Right now I wear dresses when I go out in public, even if it's to the grocery store. At home, I'm mostly in short nightgowns, since I have a thing about anything around my waist. Whatever this thing is, it certainly has affected the way I wear clothes and the way they fit my skin.

    Maybe Virginia should analyze us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love little denim jumpers and rompers! No waists at all. It's a freeing feel. I'd be ashamed to have Virginia look at my wardrobe lol

      Delete
  3. The other day at school we had a speaker who spoke of brain development. He mentioned how as people age, their brain is less concerned of their appearance. Teenager girls are worried about every detail. Not when we get older. I'm sure it goes back to looking for a mate and passing on our DNA (it all seems to go to that). I like to feel good in my clothes. I don't want to be the teacher every kid in school chatters about behind their back for dressing wacky, so I tend to be conservative in dress, but sometimes I wonder if I came in totally wildly dressed if I might have more of an instant effect on the kids? Maybe not such a good idea...Hugs Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an interesting experiment, though, to go in wildly dressed. I know it'd make a difference in how students viewed you, but I wonder if it would alter your view of the situation. It is interesting to consider.

      Delete
  4. Interesting topic! I love to dress up . For years I worked in a department store that required us to be dressed up every day. I grumbled but underneath I loved it. After 18 years there I moved away and started working at Home Depot... which is extremely casual...jeans and shirts. I loved it at first but after a while it became boring. Now that I don't work on the floor and don't get so dirty I can dress up a bit more... and I really love it again. I feel better when I'm dressed up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy dressing up as long as the clothes are comfortable (not restrictive, no heels, etc.), but comfort is primary for me. For me, jeans with a tucked-in shirt is one of the most uncomfortable clothing choices. I'm looking at my closet now and wondering if I've placed a bit too much emphasis on comfort ;)

      Delete