Thursday, August 25, 2016

Yoga for Osteoporosis, part 2

Please be careful out there. These are just videos I've found useful personally. 
I have no expertise in anything and can't specifically recommend them to anybody else. 
My doctor said yoga would be fine for me, even with my back issues,
and I try to move slowly and carefully
and know which activities of all kinds I should avoid. 
Again, know your body, know your limitations, and be careful. 
That said, I love yoga!

Part 1 included links to several websites I've found useful and 5 different videos of different lengths and types which demonstrate yoga poses that are thought to help with bone density issues. This post will have several more videos.

This is an 8 1/2-minute video that covers tree pose, triangle pose, downward-facing dog, and upward-facing dog:



Here's a 13-minute video that demonstrates the pelvic tilt, bridge, backward leg extensions, tree pose, locust pose, and a series of prone leg raises I don't do, :



Following is a 2-part sequence which covers some commonly recommended poses for bone strength. I really like this set, even though the demonstration is only to one side on the standing poses -the first video must be repeated to get the demonstration to both sides. That's easy enough, and this 2-parter is one of my favorites.

part 1:



part 2:



This video demonstrates the recommended 12 poses with adaptations for people already diagnosed with osteopenia and osteoporosis:



My next blog post on this subject will have videos of individual poses.

6 comments:

  1. You are providing so many good places to find these exercises. You are making me feel like such a slacker when all I do is look at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga feels sooooo good! And it's so easy to adapt. What's that old tv commercial? Try it, you'll like it ;)

      Delete
  2. I tried to follow one of the videos from your last post, and I wrenched my back. Not sure how, but I can now barely sit in my computer chair. I would love to do this, but I must wait till I can walk upright again before I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bummer :( I've been doing yoga off and on for years, so I'm familiar with the poses and just try to avoid the ones no longer suitable for me. You might start with one of the videos that's labeled "gentle" or "beginner". I've managed to hurt my knee doing Tai Chi lol, which I'd have thought was impossible.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting these, D&S. I've done yoga for about 10 years. I have low bone density and have been reading about which poses have been proved to preserve and increase bone density. Then, lol and behold, I find them all in one place that I can bookmark and come to over and over! I'm working my way through your list. You've found some really good ones.

    Happy T-day! [I started on your linked post, forgot to comment and ended up here - lol.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so grateful for yoga videos online! I'm not comfortable at classes, because ones I've observed move quickly though "flows". I'm wanting to hold the poses. I also avoid so many common poses that it would make it hard to do yoga in a group. I hope you find these as useful as I have. I want so much for them to help my bone density :)

      Delete