Saturday, February 07, 2015

50 Best SFF Movies

HiConsumption (via SF Signal) has a list of the 50 best science fiction and fantasy films of all time:
1. STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE
2. THE WIZARD OF OZ
3. MINORITY REPORT
4. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
5. E.T.: THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL
6. ALIEN
7. PLANET OF THE APES (1968)
8. INCEPTION (It's on the shelf, waiting.)
9. WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (1971)
10. BACK TO THE FUTURE
11. GODZILLA (1954)
12. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
13. STAR WARS EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
14. BLADE RUNNER
15. FORBIDDEN PLANET
16. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
17. THE MATRIX
18. METROPOLIS (1927)
19. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
20. AVATAR
21. STAR WARS EPISODE VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI
22. ALIENS
23. THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
24. KING KONG (1933)
25. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS – PART 2
26. WALL-E
27. JURASSIC PARK
28. STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
29. INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS
30. FLASH GORDON (1980)
31. TOTAL RECALL
32. WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005)
33. TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY
34. ROBOCOP (1987)
35. BRAZIL
36. THE FLY (1986)
37. STAR TREK (2009)
38. STAR WARS EPISODE III – REVENGE OF THE SITH
39. TRON (1982)
40. DARK CITY
41. DISTRICT 9 (I tried to watch this but didn't make it all the way through.)
42. THEM! (1954)
43. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
44. A.I.
45. LOOPER
46. 12 MONKEYS
47. MEN IN BLACK
48. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (The dvd is on my shelf.)
49. SOLARIS (1972)
50. THE PRINCESS BRIDE

I've seen the ones in bold print. Of the ones I haven't seen, 2 (Inception and Clockwork Orange) are waiting on my shelf. The Younger Son says I really must see Aliens at some point (so I probably will). Looper... well, I really meant to see that one, but I don't like stories that depend on time travel, and the movie's time has past for me anyway. Chances of me ever seeing it are small.

4 comments:

  1. Sad but true, I've only seen 21 of those films. To me, Blade Runner is by far the best, and I have to like Wizard of Oz, just because I live near the Yellow Brick Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blade Runner & Wizard of Oz are both classic must-see films. There's an actual Yellow Brick Road? Wow!

      Delete
  2. I have seen 39 of these, and I don´t mind having missed those 11. As a teenager I would watch anything remotely sci-fi, but now I´m more concerned with a story that appeals to me. There are less and less of those. "The Empire Strikes Back" is probably my all time favourite (it changed my life, after all - I was 13 when I saw that and anything would have changed my life ;-)), but as an adult I´d have to say "Matrix" or "Brazil". "A Clockwork Orange" is also for adults; I see why you put it off, but you´ll be happy you saw it, when you have. "Inception" was kinda cool, but didn´t move me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brazil (either version) and Matrix are both thought-provoking. I'm surprised there aren't as many film discussion groups as there are book groups.

      I'm strangely more likely to watch movies I run across online than I am to watch ones I have on my DVD rack. I still haven't figured out why that is...

      Delete