Thursday, November 06, 2008

13 Books That Shaped America

NPR has an article on a book about books, specifically 13 particular books that "represent the soul of the American republic". The NPR site has an excerpt from the book. Here's the list:
Of Plymouth Plantation
The Federalist Papers
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
The Journals of Lewis and Clark
Walden
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Souls of Black Folk
The Promised Land
How to Win Friends and Influence People
The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care
On the Road
The Feminine Mystique

I've read very few of these.

1/14/2009:
More specifically, the ones I've read are now in bold print. Ones I've read excerpts from but not the complete work are in italics.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:50 PM

    You should be ashamed of yourself. I have read a great number of these, even in Jr. High School and High School, not to mention at the university from which I graduated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be _ashamed_ of myself? LOL! So many books, so little time. Too little time, in fact, to feel ashamed that I haven't read more from this particular list.

    ReplyDelete