Tuesday, May 21, 2024

South Pacific

South Pacific (Amazon Prime, Tubi) is a 1958 romantic musical film based on the 1949 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, which in turn is loosely based on James A. Michener's 1947 short-story collection Tales of the South Pacific. The film, directed by Joshua Logan, stars Rossano Brazzi, Mitzi Gaynor, John Kerr and Ray Walston. This movie made a big impression on me when I was young, and I've always loved it. I re-watch it occasionally.

It looks like you can watch it here via YouTube:



*******

16 comments:

  1. I think its time I actually check it out. You probably can't believe I've never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:52 AM

    I love this one.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A definite pass for me. I'm not a fan of musicals especially this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh! I watched this from the back seat while my brother and sister slept at the drive in with my parents when it came out when I was seven. My mom bought the album and played it endlessly on repeat. I used to know all the words to the songs back then. As a kid I thought I'm Gunna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair was the best song! My mom LOVED Bali Hai. I think she dreamed of being away on her own without kids or a husband. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could do duets :) I'd bet you still remember all the words :)

      Delete
  5. I always loved this movie. The music is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great fun but also thought-provoking.

      Delete
  6. South Pacific has always seemed like a masterpiece to me also,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always liked this movie :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete