Thursday, March 10, 2022

Victim

Victim is a 1961 drama film. I looked for it for years and finally found it on HBO Max. It stars Dirk Bogarde, Sylvia Syms, and Dennis Price. It was the first English-language film to use the word "homosexual". On its release in the United Kingdom it proved highly controversial to the British Board of Film Censors, and in the U.S. it was refused a seal of approval from the American Motion Picture Production Code.

trailer:

BFI calls it "a courageous, landmark thriller". Roger Ebert considered it a Great Movie. Rotten Tomatoes has a concensus score of 100%.

18 comments:

  1. ...shocking for its time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks good. Too bad we don't get HBO Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised it's not more widely available.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this film, but I will try to find it here! Thanks for sharing, valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impressive and worth looking for.

      Delete
  4. Dirk Bogarde. I haven't thought of him in ages. This sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will check this out. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting movie. Corageous for its time describes it well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen it, but I am impressed they used the word homosexual in 1961. If only people had been more accepting then too. Hope it was a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they had only avoided the laws and the witch hunts. It feels like the abortion laws today are following the witch hunt road :(

      Delete
  8. I put it on my list. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still playing catch-up here. I have never heard of this film, but I would say any homosexual back then would have been a victim, whether intentionally named or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has blackmail involved, so there are plenty of victims to go around.

      Delete