Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Stranger

The Stranger is a 1946 film directed by Orson Welles and starring Edward G. Robinson, Loretta Young, Orson Welles, Billy House, and Richard Long. Robinson plays a government agent who has tracked a Nazi war criminal to a small American town. This is interesting -a well-done story, with a great cast and enough tension to be effective without being overwrought. It takes place in the Autumn, with dry leaves in the woods and the first snowfall of the year.

via Youtube:


Senses of Cinema calls it "a tightly-plotted and well-acted thriller that bears Welles’ unique stamp". DVD Talk says it's "an efficient and impressive production handsomely directed by Welles for maximum suspense. He's also quite good as the lead villain".

Wikipedia says, "The Stranger was the only film made by Welles to have been a bona fide box office success upon its release." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 96%.


7 comments:

  1. Wow. I can't wait to watch this. I thought Welles was a successful director, so was surprised by that quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't direct that many films, I don't think... checking.... ah, 13, wikipedia says. He had a lot of trouble staying on budget, and I think that explains the trouble generating a profit. He was a master, though, wasn't he!

      Delete
  2. I never saw this and think I need to watch it. Orson Wells was definitely one of the primo cinematographers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did have a way with film, didn't he? I watch his movies whenever I come across them. Third Man is my favorite, I think.

      Delete
  3. I had watched this movie decades ago and remembered it to be a good one. So, I watched it again...and it is still an oldie but a goodie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it! The casting is perfect!

      Delete
    2. It's dated, of course, but written well with excellent actors--yes. One of the better ones. :)

      Delete