Thursday, November 19, 2015

Probability Sun


Probability Sun is the 2001 science fiction novel -2nd in a trilogy- by Nancy Kress. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and liked this even better. A fun read, if a bit heavy on physics I can't begin to understand. I had trouble putting it down. You can read the prologue here.

The dedication:
For Charles Sheffield, founder, The Charitable Foundation for the Promotion of Scientific Literacy Among People Purporting to Be Science Fiction Writers
from the back of the book:
Salvation or Annihilation?

A strange artifact has been discovered on a distant planet, an artifact that may be the key to humanity's salvation. For we at war with the Fallers, an alien race bent on nothing short of genocide, and this is a war we are losing. The artifact is not only a powerful weapon, but possibly the rosetta stone to a lost superscience ... a superscience that the Fallers may have already decoded. Or it may be a doomsday machine that could destroy the very fabric of space.
Kirkus Reviews concludes, "Kress’s always-excellent characters wrestle with a splendid array of puzzles and problems, human, alien, and scientific: another resounding success for this talented, sure-footed writer." Publishers Weekly closes with this: "Readers will start this novel because of Kress's reputation, will read it for the adventure and will like it for the characters and the science."

4 comments:

  1. As you know by now, I'm not a big fan of sci-fi. Your's review of this one is tempting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love good science fiction :) I like this author, and this series is not disappointing me. Science fiction isn't everybody's cuppa tea, though. Nobody else in my family reads it.

      Delete
  2. You had me at PHYSICS. It was one of my four minors I received for my BA. Then you had me at Science Fiction, because you know I'm a big sci-fi fan. I'm going to look for this book and the previous one in the trilogy, too. Thanks for getting me excited to read something again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the dedication. I like knowing a book has striven to be scientifically accurate even if I can't tell the difference. ;)

      Delete