Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Mac's Burgers


Mac's Burgers moved into the old Dan McGuinness Irish Pub space. I still miss Dan McGuinness. Their fish and chips weekly special was a treat. Dan McGuinness has moved into a tiny space next door and turned itself into a hole-in-the-wall bar without food.

So... I go to Mac's Burgers reluctantly, needing to be convinced that this place is a comfortable substitute for the old one. The menu is focused on mac-and-cheese and burgers. Mac-and-cheese is ok but hardly my favorite dish, and it's not a draw for me as a restaurant offering. The burgers are cheesey. The Husband and The Younger Son ordered cheeseburgers, just regular cheeseburgers, which is an item not even on the menu. I got the "Old School" burger without mustard. This struck me as an excellent imitation of the burgers we used to get at the Mid-South Fair, but those were singles and cost 2 bucks. This was a double and was $9.


I didn't get photos of the inside, but the cozy warm pub atmosphere is gone, and the space is hard and spare. I don't think I'm their target audience.

What can I say? I miss Dan McGuinness, but that's not the only thing. I'm not getting the macaroni and cheese emphasis, and I can get a better, cheaper burger elsewhere. Them that likes it speaks well of it, as the saying goes, but I'll leave them to eat here in peace, while I get burgers elsewhere.

Yelp gives it 3.5 out of 5 stars and had this diner-submitted photo of the interior:

Trip Advisor also gives it 3.5 out of 5 stars. The Memphis Flyer has a mixed review and photos of their food. Dining With Monkeys blog has a positive review and photos. History and Pearls blog has a positive review.

6 comments:

  1. That's high end fancy restaurant prices, not hole in the wall prices for a burger in Wichita. And as much as I LOVE mac and cheese (which I really, really DO), I would never buy it in a restaurant. there's something about the homemade comfort of it that keeps me from ever buying it. Thanks for the review. I was laughing at your take on the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't tell you how disappointed I am. Dan McGuinness was such a cozy pub spot. To have them open a spot next door to their old location that is so different... a tiny narrow space with a bar, very few tables, and no fish/chips... sad. Then to have this Mac's Burgers turn out to be so unattractive to me. ... I want Dan McGuinness back!

      Delete
  2. Well at least you tried it even if it was disappointing. It seems that finding a good burger is getting harder and harder these days. I want a good old 50's burger and fries like they served at drive-in's. Remember those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here good burgers are easy to find. Maybe my problem is that I'm spoiled for choice. This was a good burger, but not for that price/setting. I can't think of any reason I'd go back to Mac's. :(

      Delete
  3. I miss Dan McGuiness too! Celtic Crossing still has my favorite fish & chips, but Dan's specials were so inexpensive! I was sad to see it downsize. We went to Mac's once just to try it out. I don't know that we'll be back. I love mac & cheese so I was excited about the concept of it, but theirs was pretty bland (which makes sense because it has to go with so many different types of toppings). The toppings for the mac & cheese were really good, though. Their loaded mac & cheese was pretty tasty. But again, for the price, I doubt we'll be back. It's a neat idea, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi :) Thanks for commenting. We went to the new Dan McGuinness a while back, and the woman behind the bar looked at us with sweet pity in her eyes. She said, "Are you here for the fish and chips?" I wanted to say, "How could y'all _do_ this?" but these things happen. They must've had their reasons, and she was very sweet. I don't object to change as such, but I don't see Mac's as a draw for us.

      Delete