Friday, November 13, 2015

The Ghoul (1975)

The Ghoul (also known as The Thing in the Attic) is a 1975 horror film starring Peter Cushing and John Hurt. There's an evil thing in the attic, a former priest protecting the secret, exotic weirdness originating in India, cannibalism, insane hired help... Just the thing to put back for next October's horror viewings. Eerie creepiness.



Moria gives it 2 out of 5 stars and says, "The padding seems obvious at times. However, the atmosphere of strangeness amid the mist-flowing moors is certainly well evoked, and Peter Cushing gives a strong performance as always." Rotten Tomatoes doesn't have a critics score, but the audience score is 40%.

4 comments:

  1. I had to check out the bits with Cushing - I have a soft spot for him. Hurt, not so much. And the 20´s fashion has a strong flavour of the late 60´s, even though this is a later film. It seems really hard to do vintage fashion without adding something of one´s own aesthetic. It´s a rather pretty film, isn´t it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Bible epics. I point and say, "Look at the period costumes. I'll bet they did deep research to ensure their accuracy." ;)

      Delete
  2. And Vikings, always depiced with tangled, uncut hair and beards, with dirty faces. Actually, Bronze and Iron Age male graves are full of combs, hair ornaments and shaving equipment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and horned helmets. and sequins. I wonder where their costume people get their ideas. And I'm sure some of what I see as period costume is horribly wrong.

      Delete