Monday, November 16, 2015

Captain Phillips

Captain Phillips is a 2013 thriller starring Tom Hanks as a commercial cargo ship captain whose ship is highjacked by Somali pirates. Anyone who thinks a life of piracy is a romantic endeavor filled with rich plunder might want to check out this movie before committing. This film was a birthday present from The Younger Son. We all enjoyed it.

trailer:


There is some question as to how accurate this film is. It was based on a true story, but perspective is key. Some of the crew members of the ship found fault. I never assume that being based on a true story means that a film is an accurate re-telling of events. There are stories here, here and elsewhere about people who disagreed with parts of the movie.

Slant Magazine says, "as it progresses, Captain Phillips really never stops getting better." Rolling Stone gives it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars and says regarding Hanks, "This is acting of the highest order in a movie that raises the bar on what a true-life action thriller can do." Empire Online says, "... there is no attempt to crassly crowdplease. Yet it still has all the momentum and clench-strength to do exactly that: please crowds."

Roger Ebert's site says, "What unfolds in the next two hours is gripping enough that more than a few theater armrests will probably require upholstery repair." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 93%.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading some of the reviews about this movie about the time it came out. Although I never saw it, it was one of those movies I hoped would be on (commercial) TV before I forgot why I wanted to see it. Now I'm not sure it's worth the wait. Thanks for reviewing, it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have particular interest in this when it was in theaters, but I'm glad I've seen it. I'm not an especial Tom Hanks fan, but he's great here.

      Delete