Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Inspector Imanishi Investigates


Inspector Imanishi Investigates is a 1961 mystery novel by Seicho Matsumoto. It's a Japanese police procedural. The story is told from the point of view of the main investigator, and you are privy to his thought process as he teases out the clues and follows leads. I enjoyed going on this journey and found the book -characters and plot and setting- interesting.

It was adapted for film in 1974 as Castle of Sand.

from the back of the book:
Inspector Imanishi ... Haiku poet, gardener, and the most dogged homicide detective on the Tokyo police force.
The Practical Theorist says, "It’s so intensely atmospheric you really don’t want the book to end." The LA Times says, "In addition to being a good whodunit, "Inspector" offers a vivid portrait of the confused Japanese culture of the early '60s". AustCrimeFiction calls it "incredibly engaging".

4 comments:

  1. Now we are off to Japan? I need my magic carpet. I'll get to this one someday I'm sure. Thanks for all the reviews.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual travel through mystery novels lol

      Delete
  2. This sounds excellent! And it´s on Kindle, so I just now put it on my lengthy wishlist. Japan is such an enigmatic country, and the new Russell&Holmes mystery is set there, "Dreaming Spies", being published in a month or so. I am really looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read the Laurie King books. I'll look forward to hearing about the latest one.

      Delete