Friday, January 02, 2015

RunAway

RunAway is a 1984 science fiction film about robots gone amok. Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons, Cynthia Rhodes, and Kirstie Alley (who has a Star Trek connection) are in it. Jerry Goldsmith does the music. Michael Crichton directs.

trailer:



Moria says, "Runaway manages a competent bevy of ideas but does seem a little pat at times." DVD Talk calls it "blunder of a Sci-Fi epic masquerading as decent cinema" and concludes, "This is really an awful film from start to finish. Not one moment of redemptive viewing. Save yourself from the horror! Oh the pain, the pain. (Thank you Dr. Smith)." Mutant Reviewers concludes, "It’s not that there’s no value here, it’s just that Runaway was already dated in 1984, and no amount of lip fuzz can overcome that fact." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 47% and an audience score of 33%.

8 comments:

  1. A review to tell us what NOT to watch? Hahaha Don't worry, I won't.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up reviews _after_ I watched it lol

      Delete
  2. Was it really that bad? I seem to remember this one from back in the day. I would have seen anything with Kirstie Alley - I wanted to look like her so bad. She was wonderful in "North and South". I was probably naive and uncritical... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just nothing there. Nothing particularly memorably _bad_ just nothing that rises above boring. I'm not a Kirstie Alley fan and think her career has gone downhill since that Star Trek movie. I'm always amazed by Scientology connections. Strange.

      Delete
    2. I haven´t really kept up with what Alley does. Didn´t know she´s a Scientologist; those are scary people. Couldn´t help see the Cruise-Holmes drama (it seemed to be everywhere) and was quite relieved when she got out. Not that it´s any of my business...

      Delete
    3. I don't keep track of personal relationships, but religious weirdness attracts my attention for some reason.

      Delete
  3. I was saddened to read that Michael Crichton both wrote and directed this movie. He was such a GOOD writer. Although I had not heard of this movie, I would still like to see it, just for the Crichton connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andromeda Strain is the only one of his books I've read. Sometimes we just have to watch a film because of a certain connection we feel. It wasn't universally panned, and some reviewers actually liked it. During this same year, though, you've got the release of Terminator and Ghostbusters, so it does suffer by comparison.

      Delete