Monday, January 05, 2015

Barbarella

Barbarella is a 1968 science fiction farce starring Jane Fonda. I guess it was fun enough back in the day, and it seems to get reviewer appreciation even now; but I find it tedious.

via Vimeo:


Moria gives it 4 out of 5 stars and says, "The entire film is so deliriously capricious it is like eating candyfloss. It is to no particular surprise that Barbarella has become a cult classic." Slant Magazine gives it 3 out of 5 stars and says, "Barbarella delivers about equal doses calculated camp comedy and unintentional hilarity: wink-wink double entendres, deliberately cheeseball effects, and saccharine songs and musical cues." Empire Online gives it 3 out of 5 stars and calls it "Cheerful, kitsch and camp." DVD Talk recommends it. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 73%.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't find it all that much fun back in the day. I doubt I'd find it better the second time around.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time to watch it. I'm not feeling the love lol

      Delete
  2. I was never a fan of Jane Fonda, so that will probably keep me from watching it. But, I'm glad you reviewed it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the opening credits will give you enough to see whether or not you want to watch it. I just watched the rest of it anyway lol

      Delete
  3. Oh my, I saw this on the first week after my parents bought their first video player, back in... 1981 or 1982. My father and I were both hungering for sci-fi (emphasis on the sci), and this film made us thoroughly disappointed, if not a little shocked. Too French, perhaps. Yes, come to think of it, it it likely that my Anglophilia comes from a prudeness that is comfortably enveloped in the British culture... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have that teasing strip-tease opening. Very arty, I guess, with the placement of the opening credits. I just longed for more plot lol

      Delete