Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Chocolate Girl


The Chocolate Girl is one of the most famous paintings by Swiss artist Jean-Étienne Liotard (1702-1789). BostonHistory.org says, "Liotard was traveling through the city drawing portraits of Austrian royalty when [Prince] Dietrichstein asked him to capture Anna’s likeness as a wedding gift." This blog post at The Curator's Choice has a fairy tale-like story about how server-then-princess Anna became the model for the painting.

I'm good getting my own chocolate, thanks, and I don't imagine I would ever have transformed into a very convincing princess. I'll just have a cozy drink on a winter morning and enjoy the story. Join me? I'll be at Bluebeard and Elizabeth's T(ea) Tuesday gathering.

15 comments:

  1. A serving girl to Princess. Wow, a real fairy tale. Happy T Day :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful painting. I really enjoyed the romantic story behind it, thanks for providing the link.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fairly certain I can get my own chocolate, too. And I would NEVER even consider acting like a princess. But I thought the painting was simply adorable.

    What a fun painting and enjoyable post you have shared for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely portrait. And now you have me thinking about a hot chocolate since I haven't made any yet this season...happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather like getting my own chocolate and acting like a princess...............................only when there is nobody else in the house...LOL
    HAPPY T-DAY and thanks for the earlier visit......glad you liked the humor

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer to get my own chocolate, too. That way, I can be sure no one steals some on the way to me! Princess, me? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely painting and it's always fun finding out the rest of the story.
    As much as I enjoy chocolate I don't drink it hot in a cup much at all.
    Happy T Day!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the story Divers. Thank you and Happy Tday! Hugs!deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the painting and hot chocolate so all is good here and no, guess I will never make it to Princess either... ;) Happy T Tuesday to you! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great painting! Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd make a terrible princess. All those heavy clothes and formal functions...bleh! LOL!
    Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hot chocolate and always thought I was a princess in another life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a stunning painting...and if I were fortunate to have someone fetch chocolate for me, I would be grateful!! but a princess I don't think I could be...;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful painting and thanks for sharing the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the soft palette of the painting, and I love the story, it really is such a fairytale. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete