Thursday, August 09, 2012

The Highland Branch of the Memphis Public Library


(photo above from Memphis Reads)



Closed. Alas. I thought I'd better get some pictures while the building is still there, as I expect it'll be demolished to make room for... what? who knows? I haven't been able to find out.


Some of my early memories are of this place. I got my first library card here, back in the days when children didn't even have social security numbers much less have to provide them on library card application forms. I went to my first puppet show here. Parents weren't allowed, and I remember climbing in those single-file lines up the narrow stairway in the back of the building and finding a place to sit on the cold tile floor and watching with fascination the wonderful stories that would unfold. I remember taking my own children here.


No more. Closed. Not to be re-opened or replaced. The closest library to that location is either the White Station branch on Poplar or the Main library between Poplar and Walnut Grove.

I will miss it. I hope something fun will go into that spot.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this library. It was my favorite out of all the libraries for it's quaintness.

    I know that Central "has it all" but I still like small libraries.

    I usually research and have my books transferred to Cossitt downtown.

    I live in the bookstores. Booksellers, Barnes and Nobles--

    I miss Bookstar.

    I have been able to block the man harassing me.

    So I will be back up and running shortly. I know u said u went to look at my blogs and they weren't there anymore.

    People need to get a life. There is so much more interesting things to do other than to bother someone who does not even know u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "People need to get a life. There is so much more interesting things to do other than to bother someone who does not even know u."

      lol that is so true!

      Delete