Wednesday, July 30, 2008

10 Ways to Be a Better Film Critic

I'm not a film critic, but I do like to watch movies and read what the critics have to say. This 2-part article by Movie Zeal offers great suggestions on how to write about film. Part 1 is here. Part 2 is here. He takes the following basics, expands on them and gives illustrations from notable film critics.

His basic 10:

1. Expand Your Cinematic Vocabulary
2. Respect the Medium You Are Criticizing
3. Develop an Appreciation For All the Arts
4. Study Classic Film Criticism
5. Develop a Unique Voice
6. Don’t Be Dull
7. Invest Yourself in Other Pursuits
8. Become an Excellent Essayist
9. Avoid the Reviews of Others Before Writing…Study Them Afterwards
10. Develop a Philosophy of Trash


The article is exposing me to some critics I am not familiar with, and the comments lead to some bloggers that are new to me. I'd like to read some of the books he recommends. I think the suggestions are good for thinking critically about film for me and not just for critics who write "viewership".

No comments:

Post a Comment