Monday, July 16, 2018

Afterward

Edith Wharton

Afterward is a 1910 ghost story by Edith Wharton. Wikipedia describes it as "an ironic ghost story about greed and retribution". It begins,
I

"Oh, there is one, of course, but you'll never know it."

The assertion, laughingly flung out six months earlier in a bright June garden, came back to Mary Boyne with a sharp perception of its latent significance as she stood, in the December dusk, waiting for the lamps to be brought into the library.

The words had been spoken by their friend Alida Stair, as they sat at tea on her lawn at Pangbourne, in reference to the very house of which the library in question was the central, the pivotal "feature." Mary Boyne and her husband, in quest of a country place in one of the southern or southwestern counties, had, on their arrival in England, carried their problem straight to Alida Stair, who had successfully solved it in her own case; but it was not until they had rejected, almost capriciously, several practical and judicious suggestions that she threw it out: "Well, there's Lyng, in Dorsetshire. It belongs to Hugo's cousins, and you can get it for a song."

The reasons she gave for its being obtainable on these terms - its remoteness from a station, its lack of electric light, hot-water pipes, and other vulgar necessities - were exactly those pleading in its favor with two romantic Americans perversely in search of the economic drawbacks which were associated, in their tradition, with unusual architectural felicities.

"I should never believe I was living in an old house unless I was thoroughly uncomfortable," Ned Boyne, the more extravagant of the two, had jocosely insisted; "the least hint of 'convenience' would make me think it had been bought out of an exhibition, with the pieces numbered, and set up again." And they had proceeded to enumerate, with humorous precision, their various suspicions and exactions, refusing to believe that the house their cousin recommended was really Tudor till they learned it had no heating system, or that the village church was literally in the grounds till she assured them of the deplorable uncertainty of the watersupply.

"It's too uncomfortable to be true!" Edward Boyne had continued to exult as the avowal of each disadvantage was successively wrung from her; but he had cut short his rhapsody to ask, with a sudden relapse to distrust: "And the ghost? You've been concealing from us the fact that there is no ghost!"

Mary, at the moment, had laughed with him, yet almost with her laugh, being possessed of several sets of independent perceptions, had noted a sudden flatness of tone in Alida's answering hilarity.

"Oh, Dorsetshire's full of ghosts, you know."
You can read it online here or here.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoy Edith Wharton's stories. I love how she combines the times and women who manage to be well attuned to themselves. They could be women today in many instances. Thanks for sharing this one. I haven't read it but think I will add it to my list. Happy Monday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's wonderful, isn't she! I enjoy her work :)

      Delete
  2. I know how very late I am visiting, but I'm trying to catch up today, even though I still have chills and a morbid cough. I wanted to thank you for visiting, even when I couldn't get out of bed.

    I've always enjoyed anything by Edith Wharton. Thanks for the review and the link to the entire story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wishing this illness would pass. I don't like how it's hanging on. And I _know_ you don't :(

      Delete
  3. I don't mind ghost stories so long as they aren't mean violent ghosts. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check to see if my library has any of her works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. The older ghost stories are often more subtle with less violence and blood.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation 😁. Have a lovely week! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete