Wednesday, March 13, 2013

R.I.P. Google Reader

"Google Reader will be retired on July 1, 2013."
Nooooooo!!!

I've tried to come up with a replacement for Google Reader without success. I am not pleased with this. I've grown accustomed to the face of Google Reader and resent this intrusion into my chosen routine.

Humph!

CNET suggests:
Feedly
Taptu
Pulse
Flipboard
Google Currents
Lifehacker has some suggestions that might work for me, including FeedDemon. FeedDemon is dead.

The Week suggests "Feedly, Flipboard, or The Old Reader."

PC World offers this:
Some alternative readers to check out include Pulse, Flipboard, and The Old Reader, which describes itself as “just like the old Google Reader, only better.”
Pocket-Lint offers these 5 as alternatives:
Feedly
NetVibes
NetNewsWire
FeedDemon
Pulse, Flipboard and Google Currents [for mobile devices]
Listly has a crowd-sourced list.

In an older article I trust will be updated, Extreme Tech recommends these:
Netvibes
iGoogle
Feedly
NewsBlur
FeedDemon
Forbes suggests these 5:
The Old Reader
Feedly
Newsblur
Reeder This app is for Mac only
Digg
Feedly is on top in ReplaceReader, an aggregate of twitter recommendations.

Mashable says, "On the surface, the three alternatives that match the look, feel and functionality of Google Reader are Feedly, NewsBlur and The Old Reader," but offers caveats and other recommendations.

The Next Web has an article and a long list of alternatives with links.

I haven't tried any of these yet. When I researched this a while back I couldn't find anything that had all the features I need. I do not want any social networking embedded in the experience, and I don't want it connected with my real-life identity. I just want to read my news and blog updates in peace.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the roundup! This is going to be rough...

    (And, in addition to being a trauma for Google Reader fans, this experience also calls attention to our vulnerability when it comes to all sorts of cloud-based applications. I'm now starting to wonder if I should switch to my own install of Wordpress, because then I would own my blog, instead of keeping it in rented space. Twitter, facebook, google+... it's all someone else's party and what assurances do we have that we won't be abruptly kicked to the curb in those places as well?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do feel a bit insecure with the blog hosted by a service that could pull it at any time, but i'm at a loss as to an easy way out of that fix. i'm such a low-key casual blogger that i'm not sure it'd be worth it.

    ReplyDelete