Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Fifth Element

I've seen The Fifth Element (a 1997 science fiction film with flying cars) several times and always enjoy it. I'm not sure the boys have seen it more than once. It's long at over 2 hours but great fun. It stars Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Mila Jovovich and Ian Holm. It's directed by Luc Besson (The Transporter).

trailer:


I've seen Leeloo described as a Christ figure. I've got a list of other films containing "Christ figures" here.

Roger Ebert says, "I would not have missed seeing this film, and I recommend it for its richness of imagery," but adds, "There's great stuff here, and the movie should get out of its own way." He thinks it's too long. The New York Times reviewer doesn't like it. SciFi.com describes it as "Space opera with a cyberpunk backbeat," and says it's "more of a comedy than anything else" and that it's "easy to sit back and ride the grandiose, campy story like a runaway aircar." The BBC review says, "Ultimately you'll delight in the ride, but you won't care too much about the outcome."

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I've always been struck by the color orange in this movie.

    =o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soylent Green has a scene with lots of brilliant orange. Maybe science fiction film makers are secret UT Vols fans.

    ReplyDelete