Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Christ Figures in Film

In reading one of the Film + Faith Blogathon posts I remembered a project I researched for church several years ago. I wanted our church to host a film series. I looked into how to screen the films without violating copyright law, bought a license that would allow us to view a wide variety of films and looked at several options for what kind of film series to host. We decided on a monthly Life of Christ in Film program, but one of the possibilities I had considered was films with recognizable Christ figures. That's where the current blogathon post comes in, as the blogger address such figures in this post:

While many films and books have characters deemed Christ-figures, they are usually identified as Christ-like in the fact that they make an ultimate sacrifice of themselves as a redemption of others (think Aslan, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix).


This is my short-list of films with Christ figures:

Superman
Shane
Starman
Babette's Feast
The Matrix
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Iron Giant
On the Waterfront
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Tron
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
The Mission
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Cool Hand Luke
The Fifth Element

I've got some confusion about the rest of his post because of what I see as a conflation of "bad" and "evil" as if they are the same thing, but I was intrigued by the mention of Christ figures in movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment