Friday, November 07, 2008

Rebecca

The Husband, The Elder Son and I saw this movie several years ago when I rented the VHS. It wasn't the first time I'd seen it, but it was the last until tonight. After I decided to buy it I found it impossible to find, as it was apparently in copyright Hell. There used to be a Criterion edition, but that was (and is) out of print. Finally, a DVD was bought online, and we watched it tonight. It was exactly as I remembered and well worth seeing again.

Rebecca, based on the novel by Daphne du Maurier, stars Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson and George Sanders (who does make a good villain). It was directed by Alfred Hitchcock and produced by David Selznick.

From googlevideo:

or it's on youtube in 13 parts. Part 1 is here.

trailer:


The New York Times says it "is an altogether brilliant film, haunting, suspenseful, handsome and handsomely played."

Only the Cinema has a review.

9/17/2011: The Dancing Image has an extensive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment