Sunday, September 15, 2024

The Big Chill

The Big Chill (free at Xumo) is a 1983 comedy-drama film directed by Lawrence Kasdan, starring an ensemble cast consisting of Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, and JoBeth Williams. The plot focuses on a group of baby boomers who attended the University of Michigan, reuniting after 15 years when their friend Alex dies by suicide. I've seen this one three times now and probably won't return to it, but it is an interesting character study and perfectly cast. It's a generational touchstone for Baby Boomers or folks around that age. The soundtrack is wonderful.

trailer:



10 comments:

  1. I saw that when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...three times and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many other movies I haven't even seen once.

      Delete
  3. This came out in the theaters just around my senior or right after my senior year in college. After that some friends and I would plan "Big Chill" weekends, named of course after the movie. I haven't seen this for a very very long time, so thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one came out before my college friends started dying. It's a different watch for me now.

      Delete
  4. I saw this recently and was surprised how well it held up. You're right -- a touchstone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin Costner's first role as the dead body! Been many years since I've seen this. Most of the cast became very famous. A classic. :)

    ReplyDelete