Saturday, August 22, 2020

The Summons


The Summons is a John Grisham novel. This is the first book I've read by Grisham that is one of his legal thrillers, and I have to say I'm not a fan if this is typical. I found it predictable, and the few female characters annoyed me. It does have quite a few Memphis connections, which I enjoyed.

from the back of the book:
Once Judge Atlee was a powerful figure in Clanton, Mississippi -a pillar of the community who towered over local law and politics for forty years. Now the judge is a shadow of his former self, a sick, lonely old man who has withdrawn to his sprawling ancestral home. Knowing the end is near, Judge Atlee has issued a summons for his two sons to return to Clanton to discuss his estate. Ray Atlee is the eldest, a Virginia law professor, newly single and still enduring the aftershocks of a surprise divorce. Forrest is Ray's younger brother, who redefines the notion of a family's black sheep.

The summons is typed by the judge himself. on his handsome old stationery, and gives the date and time for Ray and Forrest to appear in his study.Ray reluctantly heads south to his hometown, to the place where he grew up and now prefers to avoid. But the family meeting does not take place. The judge dies too soon, and in doing so leaves behind a shocking secret known only to Ray.

And perhaps someone else.
Publishers Weekly has a negative review.

I've also read Skipping Christmas by this author.

14 comments:

  1. ...I can't to see #45 summoned to appear in court to face his crimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can hope it comes to that, but his skill at dragging everything slowly and ever more slowly through the courts makes me doubt we'll see it.

      Delete
  2. I don't read his books either as I agree with you. Very predictable. But he sells mega copies and people seem to like his stories. Have you ever read Dooms Day Book? It is a time travel sci fi book and I am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Connie Willis. That book is a treasure, and I say that as someone who avoids time travel books like the plague.

      Delete
  3. I've passed this information along to my husband, he loves John Grisham books !
    Thank you, sounds intriguing.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Memphis and his books are quite popular here. Maybe I should try another...

      Delete
  4. I've seen some of his novels dramatized. Can't remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of this one, but I've seen several of his movies based on his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this one's been adapted for film I'm not aware of it.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read this one, but I quite like his work in general. Have a nice weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should try another of them...

      Delete
  7. I've never been a big fan. They're OK -- I think of them as beach books, something you don't need to hold in your memory bank for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good way to look at it :)

      Delete