Monday, April 17, 2017

Hot Cross Buns


Baking Hot Cross Buns is a Good Friday tradition. This is the current incarnation of my recipe, though I often leave out the fruit due to picky eaters who literally pick it out. There are countless recipes, many of which call for an egg wash brushed over the tops of the rolls before baking and also icing in a cross shape after the rolls have cooled. I don't do either of these.

Hot Cross Buns
10 cups all purpose flour
4 pkg active dry yeast
3/4 cup sugar + 2 Tbs
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp dried ground orange peel
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup butter
4 eggs beaten
optional: 1 cup raisins or other chopped dried fruit
Combine 8 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt, spices, and dried fruit in large mixing bowl.

In cooking pot, heat milk, butter, and 2 Tbsp sugar to 110F. Add yeast. Let sit until foaming.

Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Add eggs. Mix well, adding flour as necessary, until smooth and elastic.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour as needed.

Place in greased bowl, turn once to grease top, cover, let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour). Punch dough down, let rise again. Shape into balls, 1 1/2 to 2-inches or larger as desired. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Cut a cross on top of each roll using a sharp knife. Cover and let rise until doubled in size (about 30 minutes). If the crosses need it, cut them again along the lines you used earlier.

Bake at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.


4 comments:

  1. I may try this recipe one of these days. I know my grandmother used to make them a few Sundays each year. Probably Easter, but of course my memory is a bit fuzzy. She used an egg glaze, but NEVER iced them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are definitely an Easter thing :) When I see them in bakeries they are always iced, but I've never iced mine.

      Delete
  2. I've never made nor had a hot cross bun, but yours looks so yummy I think I might have to try them. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make them with whole wheat flour, but for some reason I've had trouble getting the yeast to rise when I do that. Now I use white flour. I hope you like them :)

      Delete