Friday, May 21, 2010

Sukiyaki Western Django

Sukiyaki Western Django is a 2007 Japanese film done in the style of a Spaghetti Western. The Younger Son suggested it. I had never heard of it before. This has lots of blood, which The Husband was not happy with.

trailer:


Slant Magazine says it's "it's nothing more than an occasionally clever bit of dispensable pastiche." Variety doesn't sound too favorably impressed. Spaghetti-Western.net says it
is good fun, but constantly veering from violent melodrama to parody and back, the movie eventually becomes too much of a macaroni-pizza-pasta-spaghetti-chambara dish, too much at the same time to be anything in particular.

The New York Times calls it "a feast for genre fetishists, a loving and lurid pastiche of the spaghetti westerns that were themselves lurid pastiches of classic Hollywood cowboy pictures."

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I wasn't much of a fan. I was really excited about it, being obsessed with Spaghetti Westerns, but it was pretty boring and overly obsessed with a style, which I'm not against generally, but I wasn't too impressed by or interested in the style they were going for. Pretty disappointing overall. Unfortunately, I had brought a lot of people with me, all of whom were none to pleased with me. Oh well.

    If you're into Spaghetti Westerns, though, you should check out my Spaghetti Western Concept Rap album, called "Showdown at the BK Corral." It's basically an epic Spaghetti Western over 9 tracks - very influenced by Morricone. I'd love to hear what you think of it! You can download it for free at sunsetparkriders.com

    ReplyDelete