Friday, November 10, 2017

Kubo and the Two Strings

Kubo and the Two Strings is a gorgeous 2016 animated story. The Younger Son saw this in the theater and loved it so much he bought it for me for my birthday. It's a wonderful film. Providing voices: Charlize Theron, Art Parkinson, Ralph Fiennes, Rooney Mara, George Takei, and Matthew McConaughey.

trailer:


Variety says it "stands as the sort of film that feels richer with each successive viewing, from the paper-folded Laika logo at the beginning (an early taste of the stunning origami sequences to follow) to the emotional resonance of its final shot." Rolling Stone gives it a full 4-star review and says, "while magical is a word that gets thrown around a lot about the movies, few actually deserve to be called that. Kubo and the Two Strings does, and in spades." The Guardian says it "stands out for its complexity, seductively dark themes and the extraordinary beauty of its animation" and that it "succeeds on every level"

Empire Online gives it 4 out of 5 stars and concludes, "Yet another success for stop-motion giants Laika, Kubo boasts big laughs and effective scares in a typically gorgeous animated tale." Roger Ebert's site says, "The timelessness of the film gives it an overall feeling of cinematic grace, with obvious nods to greats ranging from Kurosawa and Miyazaki to Spielberg and Lucas. The resonance of the performances from its excellent voice cast gives it an immediate emotional punch." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 97%.

8 comments:

  1. Goodness. Yet another film I've never heard of. Where do you find the time to watch and review these, dear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch at least one movie a day. I don't work, and housework isn't a priority ;) so I don't have trouble finding the time for it.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of this one. Looks like I will have to go find it on Neflix. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to try Netflix one of these days.

      Delete
    2. It was on Netflix streaming and I just watched it! Was pretty good. Magic and love and lots of thrills. Have to be for older kids. Pretty scary, but good. :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, that Mother-in-Danger plot is hard.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this movie before and I really enjoyed the trailer! It looks like a wonderful film, I even looked at some of the YouTube clips showing how it was made - amazing 😁. Thanks for the recommendation and I hope you are having a lovely weekend! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still would never have heard of it if my younger son hadn't come across it. It makes me want to try origami again. What gorgeous weather we've had this week-end! :)

      Delete