Thursday, December 29, 2016

Winter of the Wolf Moon


Winter of the Wolf Moon is the 2nd book in the Alex McNight mystery series by Steve Hamilton. This is a perfect winter read, taking place during the coldest months of the year in a town called Paradise in Michigan's Upper Peninsula near the Canadian border. Brrrrr..... I like the main character and his relationships with friends and co-workers and am picking up these books as I find them, trying to read them in order.

from the back of the book:
Steve Hamilton's novels starring ex-cop and sometime-P.I. Alex McNight have won multiple awards and appeared on bestseller lists nationwide. And when you start reading Winter of the Wolf Moon, you will instantly understand why....

When a young woman from the Ojibwa tribe asks McNight for shelter from her violent boyfriend, McNight agrees. But after letting her stay in one of his cabins, he finds her gone the next morning. His search for her brings on a host of suspects, bruising encounters, and a thickening web of crime, all obscured by the relentless whiplash of brutal snowstorms. From the secret world of the Ojibwa reservation to the Canadian border and deep into the silent woods, someone is out to kill -and McNight is heading right into the line of fire.
The New York Times has a positive review. Publishers Weekly describes it as " a fast mystery brimming with insight into both the politics of U.S./Canadian border crimes and the relations between Native Americans and their white neighbors."

Kirkus Reviews concludes with this:
In his second outing, Hamilton continues to show promise. His protagonist is likable as well as durable, his raffish cast sharply observed and entertaining. Moreover, he knows how to pace a story, something of a lost art in recent crime fiction.
I have also read the 1st in this series, A Cold Day in Paradise (1998).

9 comments:

  1. This sounds a lot like the Jesse Stone novels, right down to the name of the town he's in. But, with Stone, he was a sheriff , althouh he had been a detective in LA before being hired in Paradise, ME. Since I like the Jesse Stone novels, I suspect I'd like these, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. googling Jesse Stone..... ;)

      Delete
    2. Ah, by Robert Parker who wrote the Spencer novels. "Promised Land" is the only book by him that I've read. Maybe I should look at the Jesse Stone books. Thx!

      Delete
  2. I'm on it! I needed some reading inspiration so thanks so much. I agree with Elizabeth, sounds like the same area as the Jesse Stone stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been googling these, and I'll have to see if our bookstore has any of them for me to try. I'm always looking for a character I'll want to read more about :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a really good book. I think I need to check out this series. Hope you have a fantastic end of 2016. And happy new year too! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be picking up the 3rd book the next time I see it. Happy New Year! :)

      Delete
  4. Wrote this series down. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the series continues to be good. It's nice when I find a long-running series that's worth sticking with :)

      Delete