Friday, February 05, 2016

Odd Man Out

Odd Man Out is a 1947 film noir starring James Mason. Ah, James Mason! You cannot go wrong with one of his films. It is directed by Carol Reed. Scrolling across the screen following the opening credits is this:
This story is told against a background of political unrest in a city of Northern Ireland. It is not concerned with the struggle between the law and an illegal organisation, but only with the conflict in the hearts of the people when they become unexpectedly involved.
via Youtube:



The 1947 NYT review calls it "a most intriguing film". FilmReference.com has an exploration of the film. DVD Talk says, "Odd Man Out is rightly hailed as a masterpiece of British film". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 100%.

4 comments:

  1. Poor Johnny! Poor Kathleen! :-( Great film, though, I thought all the actors were just spot on. Granny, especially, and some of the guys, too. Thanks for pointing to it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the scene where Granny told Kathleen about her own past choice. I liked that the older people were individuals with different attitudes. And then there's James Mason. lol I love coming across movies with him in them.

      Delete
  2. This was an excellent film. I really enjoyed it. I was especially pleased to see the Rotten Tomatoes score. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's interesting that the political background stays in the background, but still informs every scene. I'm glad you liked it :) It's interesting when I see a 100% score at RT for a movie that doesn't seem at all well-known.

      Delete