Friday, January 23, 2009

Wild Wild West

A triple feature! I picked this one. The Younger Son got Wild Wild West for Christmas and had already seen it, but this was my first time. I think of Wild Wild West as a tv Western and not as a steampunk science fiction movie. Watching it made me want to see the tv show again. I prefer the original series -the characters, their portrayals and relationships, and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for perpetual bad guy Dr. Loveless.

The 1999 film stars Will Smith, Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh. It's the 10th most expensive movie ever made when adjusted for inflation. And the jokes are so lame.

trailer:


Roger Ebert calls it "a comedy dead zone". Moria gives it one star. Salon.com says it's "one of those bummer summer hybrids".

Speaking of the original... Here's a video of stills and clips from the tv series showcasing Dr. Loveless. Another is here. Michael Dunn (who has a Star Trek connection) was brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment