Sunday, January 25, 2009

Soylent Green

Soylent Green is a 1973 science fiction film starring Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson (in his last film). It also has Joseph Cotten and Whit Bissell. I still clearly remember scenes from the first time I saw this movie.

Googlevideo has it online:


SciFi.com has a review that says,
Ironically, the film's most powerful moments do not belong to Heston, who makes a dubious, ambiguous hero. It is Robinson who lays claim to the most moving passages of the film.

StompTokyo says it "is still a powerful film" and that it
walks a fine line between melodramatic Seventies science fiction and a thoughtful examination of problems that began to surface in a decade of oil shortages, endangered species, and Sha Na Na.

Moria's review describes it as "one of the most successful films of its time". 1000 Misspent Hours says that "Together with Silent Running, Soylent Green would make an excellent introduction to early-1970’s polemical sci-fi."

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!!
    I had no idea this was online!
    Now I have a "classic" movie for the kids to watch tomorrow. And they will finally understand some of my jokes...
    Like with green jello -- "What does it taste like, Mommy?" "Well the flavor varies person to person..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how it's online, but it's been up almost 2 years. Soylent Green's a keeper, though, and amazon.com has it for 10 bucks. I never see it used around here, and my local stores don't carry it.

    ReplyDelete