Friday, December 23, 2022

The Stingiest Man in Town (1956)

The Stingiest Man in Town is a 1956 musical adaptation of Dickens' A Christmas Carol from The Alcoa Hour. Basil Rathbone is Scrooge with Vic Damone as Young Scrooge. John McGiver is one of the charity men. I'm just now discovering this one, and I'm sad for the lost years I didn't get to watch it. It's well-done and worth watching.

via YouTube:



This Christmas Specials Wiki has this:
For a long time, this version of the musical was thought to be a lost film, a victim of the lack of preservation of many early television broadcasts. By chance, a copy of the master reel was found in the home of a retired executive for Alcoa, and restored...
Christmas TV History says,
In its day, The Stingiest Man in Town was received with high praise from TV viewers and critics alike. ... One of the details of this particular production that stands out in people's minds is the unforgettable portrayal of Ebenezer Scrooge by actor Basil Rathbone. ... Special effects created during a live production are just some of the fine details that went into making this one of TV's finest holiday moments.

6 comments:

  1. ...I wonder if Dickens had any idea that his story would be so popular?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine not. There were so many of these Christmas ghost stories. Who knows why any one of them had such long-lasting impact.

      Delete
  2. This sounds great, I am sure I wil enjoy watching it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have time to watch this now, but I think it will make a great Christmas film to watch. BTW, I'm not sure my comment about Ian published. I added several images at Friday Smiles I thought you would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were without power, and I was unable to check blog comments. It went through :) I look forward to seeing the new photos!

      Delete