Monday, December 05, 2022

Roma

Roma is an award-winning 2018 Spanish language drama film about a family living in Mexico City in the 1970s. It is written and directed by Alfonso CuarĂ³n. Part of it takes place during the Christmas holiday season. I watched it on Netflix.

trailer:



Roger Ebert's site gives it a glowing review, saying,
Cuaron has made his most personal film to date, and the blend of the humane and the artistic within nearly every scene is breathtaking. It’s a masterful achievement in filmmaking as an empathy machine, a way for us to spend time in a place, in an era, and with characters we never would otherwise.

Rolling Stone calls it a masterpiece. Deep Focus Review calls it "a profound human document and astounding demonstration of high-art filmmaking." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 96%.

8 comments:

  1. ...black and white is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good way to hone empathy skills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy watching movies that expose me to new-to-me cultures

      Delete
  3. Too bad I don't have Netflix, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was excellent.

    ReplyDelete