Monday, August 01, 2022

On the Waterfront

On the Waterfront is a 1954 award-winning crime film directed by Elia Kazan and starring Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb, Rod Steiger, Eva Marie Saint, Fred Gwynne, and Leif Erickson. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:

 



Film Site opens its article with this:
On the Waterfront (1954) is a classic, award-winning, controversial film directed by Elia Kazan - a part drama and part gangster film. The authentic-looking, powerful film is concerned with the problems of trade unionism, corruption and racketeering. And it is set on New York's oppressive waterfront docks, where dock workers struggled for work, dignity, and to make ends meet under the control of hard-knuckled, mob-run labor unions that would force them to submit to daily 'shape-ups' by cruel hiring bosses.
Roger Ebert has it on his Great Movies list and notes this as background information: "This was the film made in 1954 by Elia Kazan after he agreed to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee, named former associates who were involved with the Communist Party and became a pariah in left-wing circles." The Hollywood Reporter in a review from the film's release concludes a glowing review with this: "This is one of the year’s important films." Variety has a positive review. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 99%.

18 comments:

  1. This sounds god, must see if I can get it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this one. I think it's one of those all time big films. It's go a great cast for certain! I particulary like Karl Malden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say happy August to you also Nita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're bringing it in with rain here.

      Delete
  4. ...one that I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the scenes are quite memorable.

      Delete
  5. Y'know, I don't think I've seen this movie all the way through. Just bits and pieces of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth watching all of.

      Delete
  6. I've not seen but I've seen it referred to many times. Surprising to read that he, the director, willingly turned on his friends ... Hollywood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is definitely worth watching. I confess, it's been decades since I saw it and probably well worth a rewatch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 99%!
    One to watch!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete