Friday, August 26, 2022

Axolotl

Axolotl is a short story by Julio Cortazar. According to Wikipedia,
Known as one of the founders of the Latin American Boom, Cortázar influenced an entire generation of Spanish-speaking readers and writers in America and Europe.

He is considered one of the most innovative and original authors of his time, a master of history, poetic prose and short story in general and a creator of important novels that inaugurated a new way of making literature in the Hispanic world by breaking the classical moulds through narratives that escaped temporal linearity.
You can read this particular story online here or listen to it read to you at the bottom of this post.. It begins,
There was a time when I thought a great deal about the axolotls. I went to see them in the aquarium at tbe Jardin des Plantes and stayed for hours watching them, observing their immobility, their faint movements. Now I am an axolotl.

I got to them by chance one spring morning when Paris was spreading its peacock tail after a wintry Lent. I was heading down tbe boulevard Port-Royal, then I took Saint-Marcel and L'Hôpital and saw green among all that grey and remembered the lions. I was friend of the lions and panthers, but had never gone into the dark, humid building that was the aquarium. I left my bike against tbe gratings and went to look at the tulips. The lions were sad and ugly and my panther was asleep. I decided on the aquarium, looked obliquely at banal fish until, unexpectedly, I hit it off with the axolotls. I stayed watching them for an hour and left, unable to think of anything else.

...

14 comments:

  1. ...wonderful word pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the "poetic prose" description at Wikipedia.

      Delete
  2. Ohh I really enjoyed this. Thank you and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story reminds me of Metamorphosis, but lyrical. And the story about the axolotls was written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminded me of the Metamorphosis story, too :)

      Delete
  4. I thought the name of the story sounded familiar, but now I know it was the amphibian. Have a great weekend Nita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to sell these in pet/aquarium stores.

      Delete
  5. I especially like the images of Paris and the Eiffel Tower. It took me awhile to connect the salamander to the story. But I enjoyed the beauty that went with the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never do the audio books so miss out on the images they include in them.

      Delete
  6. Mad Magazine had a thing about axolotls -- they always inserted that word when they could (or even when they shouldn't). I especially remember this:

    I wandered lonely as a clod,
    Just picking up old rags and bottles,
    When onward on my way I plod,
    I saw a host of axolotls;
    Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
    A sight to make a man’s blood freeze.

    Published in 1958. Mad Magazine: not forgotten. Maybe.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love Mad Magazine, though I don't remember anything in particular. That parody of the poem is hilarious lol

      Delete
  7. What an unusual video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever watch the audio book videos. Sounds like I should lol

      Delete