Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Departures (2008)

Departures is a 2008 Japanese film about a young man who returns to his hometown after a failed career as a cellist and stumbles across work as a nōkanshi —a traditional Japanese ritual mortician. An engaging film, this one brought me to tears. I watched it on Tubi.

trailer:



It won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Spirituality and Practice calls it "An exquisite cinematic masterpiece that touches the heart with its treatment of beauty, music, death, and abandonment." Roger Ebert has it on his Great Movies list. 92% of Rotten Tomatoes audience scorers give it a positive review.

Here's a screenshot of the man and his wife enjoying a drink together:



Please share your own drink reference and join me at the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering.

16 comments:

  1. ...quite a change in careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another film to add to the list to watch when Himself isn't around. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I enjoy foreign films as long as I don't have to read subtitles.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and such poignant film, I think this would bring me to tears too! Happy T Tuesday! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that sounds interesting but hopefully not sad, I can't do sad atm. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the trailer - this movie is on my list. It looks so interesting and touching at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid i did not watch the clip Divers but i spied your drink for T .. Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really looks like a very, very interesting film. I hope (or am curious) to see the film in German (or in our TV programs).
    All the best from a place near Vienna / Austria
    Traude Rostrose (joining T Stands For Tuesday 🍷🥤🍻🥂🍹🥛)
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/08/blogparade-tropisch-exotisch-u30blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found the trailer very poignant. How easy it is to distort words to turn them into a positive (when his wife asked about the job being like weddings). Thanks for sharing this with us for T this Tuesday, dear. I'm off to see a few things I have missed while offline or sick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the look of this film - I need to be in the right frame of mind for following sub titles though! Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flying by to say happy t day. I love that you have such a eclectic taste in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't care for films I have to read but this sounds interesting. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks interesting, thanks for sharing. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can tell it is a special movie - the trailer got me. Even brought a tear to my eye. We all need to treat death with more passion, thought, and respect. Funerals today just aren't good enough. Great post. Happy T-day and hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one does interest me - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds odd -- but very interesting!

    ReplyDelete