Friday, April 27, 2018

The Thin Man

The Thin Man is a 1934 comedy/mystery movie based on the Dashiell Hammett novel. William Powell, Myrna Loy, and Maureen O'Sullivan star. There are 5 sequels. This is a much-loved film, but I'm not a huge fan -just not really to my taste, I guess, though I'm hard-pressed to explain why. The characters are delightful.

trailer:



via Archive.org:



The New York Times has a positive review from the time of the film's release. The Atlantic says, "As Nick and Nora, Powell and Loy subverted the classic detective film with comic aplomb and presented an impressively modern vision of marriage as an association of equals."

Empire Online gives it 5 out of 5 stars and concludes, "Tense and slick, this early thriller remains a true masterpiece." Roger Ebert has it on his list of Great Movies. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics rating of 97%.

6 comments:

  1. How incredible, I was just watching about The Thin Man in a documentary. I saw a couple of these on a TV channel that showcased old movies. Although I am a HUGE mystery/murder fan, I enjoyed the movies to a point. I thought they were a bit too saccharin for me. I guess I watched because I like mysteries, the movies were old, the costumes and sets were so modern for the time, and finally perhaps because there wasn't anything better on. Nope, I'm going with the 30s sets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sets! And the costumes! Such elegant lives these characters led :)

      Delete
  2. I found that this seems to be a romance as well as a mystery with the chemistry between the main characters. Wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the romance, yes :) These 2 were so _good_ together! I love their snappy repartee lol

      Delete
  3. I remember watching probably all of these years ago and enjoying them. Mysteries, yes--but mostly light comedy. A little on the silly side at times if I recall. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The silliness may well be what turned me off, now that I think about it....

      Delete