Friday, July 31, 2009

The Sting

I failed once again in my effort to get The Husband and The Daughter to agree to an Ingmar Bergman film. They refused. The Daughter has never seen a Bergman film, and The Husband has only seen one. I'm just giving it up. From now on I'll find a time when The Younger Son and I can watch the foreign films. But, for me, tonight kills Family Movie Night. I'll watch whatever they pick, of course, but it's too discouraging for me to continue to request movies that they refuse to consider. We do seem to watch whatever anybody else picks...

The Husband picked The Sting, which was a birthday present to him in response to his request for comedies and movies with happy endings. This 1973 film, which I have seen a couple of times before, stars Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Robert Shaw, Charles Durning, Ray Walston, Eileen Brennan, Harold Gould, James Sloyan (who has a Star Trek connection), Sally Kirkland and Charles Dierkop (who has an original series Star Trek connection).

trailer:




The New York Times has a review. Variety likes it. The BBC review closes with this: "For those watching this after a large meal, intertitles with different chapter headings break the plot into easily digestible chunks." Roger Ebert says, "It's good to get a crime movie more concerned with humor and character than with blood and gore; here's one, as we say, for the whole family."

No comments: