Thursday, July 02, 2009

Stargate Watchathon

Hmmm... Watchathon is a new term for me, but it seems to be another way of saying "film blogathon". SFSignal is hosting a long-lasting Stargate SG-1 Watchathon, posting the episodes from Hulu and inviting comments:
We'll be posting an episode a day, starting with the pilot "Children of the Gods, Pt.1" and running through the end of September. As Universe is rumored to start on October 3rd, we'll end just in time for the new series to start.

But the Spirit of Ed Wood Blogathon starts Monday, and there are only so many hours in a day... I'll have to see if The Younger Son, who is a long-time Stargate fan, wants to watch some Stargate with me sometime.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:53 AM

    I never got into Stargate - It was an OK movie but the whole "Egyptian Gods were actually space aliens" thing just never gelled for me. I'm glad for MacGuyver, though, having some steady work when the movie was turned into a series.

    As for Ed Wood, he was nowhere near as idealistic as he was portrayed by Johnny Depp. Trying to turn a genuinely disturbed man into a likeable eccentric was sort of off-putting. It would be as though someone tried to make a movie where Hitler is portrayed as a well-meaning guy who's directives didn't translate well from paper into action. I know the analogy is a bit harsh but it proves the point - If you're going to make a bio-pic, at least attempt to spit in the direction of accuracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see any of Stargate the first time through and won't play with it now unless The Younger Son wants to go there. I saw the film and first year of the Stargate series over a year ago with The Younger Son and liked them in a "Chariots of the Gods" kind of way. While watching them with him I developed some enthusiasm for them but it didn't last.

    I don't know much about Ed Wood, except for his reputation as being involved in consistently bad films. I've seen a couple of his movies -Plan 9 from Outer Space for one- but have no interest in his non-sf films. I'm more interested in his involvement with Bela Lugosi, whose story (what I know of it) always seemed a sad one to me. We'll probably watch the Ed Wood movie on Monday.

    ReplyDelete