Thursday, December 15, 2016

A Christmas Carol (1977)

This is a BBC adaptation of the classic tale A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. It stars Sir Michael Hordern, who is Marley's Ghost in two other versions, as Scrooge. Anything he is in is worth watching, and he's well cast here. Zoƫ Wanamaker is Belle, Paul Copley is Fred, Clive Merrison is Bob Cratchit, and Carol MacReady is Mrs. Cratchit. I find Marley the weak link in this one -a bit lifeless even for a ghost.




BFI Screen Online has some praise for the Marley actor, and says of this version of the story, "This compact adaptation stays very close to the original, reproducing much of the dialogue verbatim" and highlights Hordern's performance:
What anchors this adaptation, however, is Michael Hordern's Scrooge. He completely dominates the production, equally convincing as a cynical curmudgeon in the opening scenes and, later, as a panic-stricken old man terrified by the vision of his own dismal death. His final redemption and re-birth as a kinder and more generous human being is appropriately joyous and heart-warming.


8 comments:

  1. Didn't watch the whole video, but I do agree about Marley. Aside.. I cannot help but think of Disney every time I think of this book because I first read it as a Disney abridgment - with Uncle Scrooge as Scrooge which was an obvious choice and the most adorable little mouse as Tiny Tim - https://goo.gl/images/pGtH9a :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that one! It's been years since I saw it, but I remember it as being true to the spirit of the story.

      Delete
  2. I'm simply unable to access any videos. My friend Scott is coming by tonight and I'll ask him to look at the problem. I'm sure it's something I did that is causing this to happen. I can't even access YouTube.

    As an aside, you asked the size of the tip-ins I made. They are 5.5 X 8.5 inches. I cut a piece of 8.5" X 11" cardstock in half to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PBS link for Chiron Beta Prime is audio only. That might work.

      That'd make a nice size for a display piece -not too small, but not too big.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this version of a Christmas carol. I should check it out since I like this story-especially the George C Scott version. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time to see this one. I'd never even heard of it but found it in a list at Wikipedia.

      I like the George C. Scott version, too, though I admit to finding the background music grating. He makes a perfect Scrooge both before and after his conversion, I think.

      Delete
  4. This was a fairly good version. Done more like a play. I liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought so, too. It works well in that format, I think. I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete