Friday, July 29, 2016

The Prophecy

The Prophecy is a 1995 horror film starring Viggo Mortensen, who is always worth watching. He plays the Devil. Christopher Walken is the Archangel Gabriel. There are 4 sequels, and 2 of them are on this disc. I enjoyed this one. It's got a lot different about it. I do tire of the blood-seeped slasher sub-genre, and this is a totally different type of film while still maintaining the horror.

trailer:




Moria says, "With The Prophecy, [director] Gregory Widen makes an impressively literate venture into the theme of angels." HorrorNews.net says, "Lucifer is played by a younger Viggo Mortensen who manages to really bring a believable frightening portal that even in human form is felt in the film" and closes with this: "A recommended classic, not perfect but still a very good film in my book." Rotten Tomatoes has a 43% critics score.

4 comments:

  1. Horror has never been something I cared about, but I DO like Christopher Walken. Thanks for the review, but I fear I'll probably pass on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to see the biblical interpretation. Horror covers a lot of territory ;)

      Delete
  2. I did see this one and it was okay but I know I saw one sequel that wasn't as good. I didn't know there were even more in the series. I watched it just for Christopher Walken--LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it because it was so different from what I usually see. I think they bleed ideas dry the more sequels there are.

      Delete