Monday, September 10, 2007

Slapstick Blog-a-Thon Day 4

I thought I'd watch a bit of Chaplin on this last day of the Slapstick Blog-a-Thon. This video



contains these four shorts: The Immigrant, The Adventurer, The Cure, and Easy Street. I'm not a Chaplin fan and don't think these are funny at all. Easy Street was the only one of the 4 I liked, and it's just such a sweet story.

The Kid, online here:


was Chaplin's first full-length film. Jackie Coogan plays the title character. The visual symbolism is heavy-handed, and it does seem to be an overt "message" film. Still, it's sweet, too, and I liked it. It's looking as if I like Chaplin movies to the extent they tell a tender tale. Could be, could be, but there are ones I liked ok that weren't primarily sweet stories.

We have seen The Gold Rush, but we may have rented it because I can't find it here anywhere right now. The Husband and I both liked it, but he did think the wrap-up at the end was too quick. It can be viewed online at youtube in 10 parts. Part 1:

part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7, part 8, part 9, part 10

We have also seen and liked Modern Times.

We watched The Great Dictator a while back, and I see historical significance and courage in its making. But not comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment