Thursday, September 22, 2022

The Hitch-Hiker (1953)

The Hitch-Hiker, based on a true story, is a 1953 American film noir (so they say, but I see it more as a straight crime thriller) co-written and directed by Ida Lupino and starring Edmond O'Brien. It is the first American mainstream film noir directed by a woman.

via Youtube:


Deep Focus Review says, "The Hitch-Hiker most of all, uncovers [the director's] interest in the idyllic American Dream as a crumbling façade, behind which the individual is suppressed." Senses of Cinema has interesting background information. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics concensus score of 93%.

18 comments:

  1. ...this one is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. These old noir movies are always interesting to watch. I know you're a meteorological fall as Spet. 1, so I'll say happy equinox to you, instead of happy fall (smile). hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Separated by denominational differences ;)

      Delete
  3. On Fraser Island we hitchhiked, too. Never again!
    The first couple was super-nice.
    On the way back a ute took us in the back aka loading.
    The two men had been fishing and more than one beer, I think the driver was outright drunk. Gravel road only and I really was afraid I might fly out with the next bump. Never again!
    No gun, but dangerous, also! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never hitchhiked. I'm much to scared for that...

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this. I'm guessing no 42, towels, or dolphins

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew Ida Lupino wrote or directed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was brilliant on both sides of the camera.

      Delete
  6. Ooooh! That looks like a goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this may be a good one ... but the video is unavailable for me.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame. It is a good movie, I think.

      Delete
  8. I've actually seen this one. On TV, of course. I was surprised how young those three main actors looked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to show a lot of the old movies on TV. I'm not even sure if they still do...

      Delete
  9. Wow, looking at the plot it seems to have been based on a true story, so I think I'll hitch hiking isn't for me 😊. Take care! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete