Monday, September 19, 2022

Little Big Man

Little Big Man is a 1970 revisionist western film starring Dustin Hoffman, Chief Dan George, and Faye Dunaway. I watched it on Amazon Prime. It's also available free on Pluto.

trailer:



Roger Ebert says, "It is the very folksiness of Penn's film that makes it, finally, such a perceptive and important statement about Indians, the West, and the American dream. There's no stridency, no preaching, no deep-voiced narrators making sure we got the point of the last massacre." Spirituality and Practice calls it "A picaresque masterpiece about an inimitable American anti-hero whose wild adventures are delivered into our hearts and minds with the robust vitalities of comedy and the sharp blows of tragedy." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 96%.

18 comments:

  1. ...I like Dustin Hoffman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not an actor I seek out, but I'm glad I saw this one.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting and at times sure funny. I love Dustin Hoffman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not a favorite for me, but the movie's fun to watch.

      Delete
  3. This was pretty good. Not a big fan of Hoffman or Dunaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's an old one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved this film. Hoffman is so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched this film a long time ago, and it was good. Have a great week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten a lot of it since I saw it last.

      Delete
  7. This is the movie that one of my uncles quotes all the time "sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't" I must watch the entire movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember watching this years ago, either on TV or a VHS rental. I am NOT a western fan, but I truly enjoyed this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why we shouldn't avoid a movie just because we don't usually like that genre.

      Delete
  9. I loved this film! So funny! A potent comment on humans--our prejudices and weaknesses--but not overtly. Subtly done with much humor and irony. A classic in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot there, that's for sure. It rewards re-watching, though as I get older and see how many movies I've never seen the _first_ time... lol

      Delete