Thursday, September 29, 2022

Sweet Smell of Success

Sweet Smell of Success is a 1957 film noir (I mean there are only about 3 movies that meet all the criteria for films noir) drama film starring Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis. I watched it on Amazon Prime, but it's also available free on Tubi.

trailer:



Film Site opens their article with this: It is
an acerbic, dynamic and intense film that exposes the diseased under-side of New York City's glamorous night life, revealing brutality, capriciousness, greed, evil, psychological violence, corrupt American ambition, betrayal and cynicism. The taut, little-seen, menacing, late film noir classic is the first American film of Scottish director Alexander Mackendrick, better known for Ealing Studios light comedies such as Man in the White Suit (1951) and The Ladykillers (1955).
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 98%. Roger Ebert has it on his list of Great Movies.

19 comments:

  1. Hi! Sounds like an excellent movie suggestion. I already have several to see, old and in black and white. Hugs, Raquel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it. I enjoy the old black and white films, but there are so _many_ movies I'll never make it through all of them.

      Delete
  2. ...success can be a different for different people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I imagine you know what kind is meant here.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And they do such a powerful job in this.

      Delete
  4. Another film I missed! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I had never heard of it before.

      Delete
  5. Ohhh yes, I do remember this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd seen it before. It was a really good movie.

      Delete
  6. I've seen this before. It's really a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did this film meet all the criteria? I do like Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows? lol It meets the definitions I see, but there are people who insist any film noir must include certain specific plot elements and character types.

      Delete
  8. I have heard of it but honestly can't remember if I have seen it long ago. Sounds familiar. I will see if I can catch it on Prime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope--not available in my area. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's free on Tubi:
      https://tubitv.com/movies/302257/sweet-smell-of-success

      Delete
  10. I saw this on TV. It shows how sleaze begets sleaze.

    ReplyDelete