Saturday, September 24, 2022

Safe

Safe is a 1995 psychological drama film starring Julianne Moore. It made quite a spash back then, but I haven't heard much mention of it since. It's culturally significant.

via Youtube (but the audio is hard to hear):



Criterion calls it "unsettling" and describes it this way:
Julianne Moore gives a breakthrough performance as Carol White, a Los Angeles housewife in the late 1980s who comes down with a debilitating illness. After the doctors she sees can give her no clear diagnosis, she comes to believe that she has frighteningly extreme environmental allergies.
The New Yorker calls it a masterpiece. Roger Ebert has a review. Rotten Tomatoes has a xritics consensus score of 87%.

12 comments:

  1. ...I was unaware of the "splash."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole "the environment is poisoning us" idea is what I remember.

      Delete
  2. Scary is good, I will watch it later! Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its splash may've been smaller than I remember it being.

      Delete
  4. I remember seeing this on TV. It ended weird, at least I thought it did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the whole film was a bit weird.

      Delete
  5. I remember when that came out. Moore is usually so very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's good in this, too. A powerful performance, I think.

      Delete
  6. Interesting and weird 😊. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of it as a 90s "thing".

      Delete