Monday, December 03, 2007

Robert Louis Stevenson


Today is the anniversary of the death in 1894 of Robert Louis Stevenson. I discovered Stevenson when young and introduced him to my children when they were young, though they never liked A Child's Garden of Verses like I did. Treasure Island was our favorite, which probably places us squarely with the majority of his readers.

I discovered his travel writing after the kids were school-aged and wonder why they aren't better known, unless it's just that travel narratives seem less-read than fiction. I have these: An Inland Voyage and Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes published together in a volume of The Gateway Series of English Texts; and The Amateur Emigrant, Across the Plains and The Silverado Squatters in The Travels and Essays of Robert Louis Stevenson.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Stevenson because of his defense of Father Damien. It endears him to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment