Friday, February 09, 2007

William Shatner and Dave Ramsey

I'm a Dave Ramsey fan from way back and so my first thought when I saw William Shatner's financial advice in Money Magazine was, "Wow! That sounds just like Dave!"

Shatner says,

Intergalactic superstar
William Shatner, 75

Memorable money mistake: "When I was a young actor at Canada's Stratford Festival, one of the older actors told me that Canadian uranium is the future and you must buy into it. So I bought it on Thursday with the entire $500 I had saved.

"The following day, the Canadian prime minister said the country would no longer buy uranium. I was wiped out. It actually hurt my performance onstage. Since then I've led a very conservative financial life."

What money means to me: "For the longest time I could never get ahead more than a few hundred dollars, no matter how well I did or what job I got, and no matter how hard I tried to pare expenses down. With three kids, it was always very, very tight, and it was always a scramble for what was my next job.

"So I learned never to go into debt because I don't want those monthly payments to preoccupy my thoughts. I never spend more than what I can afford, and I don't owe anything."

What I tell my kids: "Don't buy anything on time, and that includes cars and houses."

HT for the Money Magazine article: Consumerism Commentary


I've never heard Dave Ramsey sing. I wonder if he's as good as Shatner:





No comments:

Post a Comment