Friday, March 23, 2018

My Cousin Vinny

My Cousin Vinny is a 1992 comedy starring Joe Pesci, Ralph Macchio, Marisa Tomei, Mitchell Whitfield, Fred Gwynne (in his last film before his death in mid-1993), and Maury Chaykin (Nero Wolfe in that delightful A&E mystery series). The Husband likes funny movies with happy endings, and this is exactly that -light-hearted, filled with banter and fun characters. I'd have loved a sequel, but there never was one.

trailer:


The New York Times calls it "easily the most inventive and enjoyable American film farce in a long time". The Hollywood Reporter has a positive review. Empire Online gives it 3 out of 5 stars and calls it "lightly likable".

Roger Ebert says, "It's the kind of movie home video was invented for: Not worth the trip to the theater, but slam it into the VCR and you get your rental's worth." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 85%.


14 comments:

  1. I think this is suited to my liking - will mark it on Netflix for the weekend ------ Thanks!
    Mein Vetter Winnie in German -- checked it already!
    Happy weekend!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. We found it delightful :)

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favourite older movies; I laugh at the courtroom scene when Marisa Tomei gives her info on cars - classic. I believe she won best supporting actress for this role. Makes me want to go searching into the box for this movie. Oh yes this is a classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she did win. I had forgotten that. I don't know how this movie had never crossed my radar before. I'm glad I found it :)

      Delete
  3. Seems our hubbys have similar tastes, this is my hubby's favourite film! If I ever ask which film he wants to watch, he always choses this one ...lol 😉. Such a great movie! Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I was specifically looking for something for him when I found this. I do wish we had found it sooner. So much lost time!

      Delete
  4. Cute fun movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this movie!
    My favorite part is when the guy wants to fight him.
    Fred Gwynne is fantastic in this one:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realized this was Gwynne's last movie until I was writing it up after I saw it. He was just 66 but died of pancreatic cancer.

      Delete
  6. This is one of my favorite oldies. I haven't seen it for awhile and I think I need to give it another watch. Thanks for the reminder. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody had seen this but me! I must've been under a rock when it was released lol

      Delete
  7. As you might be able to tell, I am SO far behind visiting. BUT, I had to comment on this one. This is actually a movie I have seen. Saw it on TV, but it was still fun. This is NOT the kind of movie I would normally watch, but once I started watching it, I couldn't look away. It was one I would see again in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete