Thursday, February 21, 2013

Going Postal


Going Postal is the 33rd of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. I enjoy these books and pass them on to The Younger Son as soon as I'm done. He's a fan, too. This one is wonderfully funny. The Poor Husband was the picture of patience while I read sections aloud to him while he was trying to sleep. But I couldn't help myself!

I started by reading these in publication order, but I've quit trying to do that now and just pick them up as I find them.

from the back of the book:
Suddenly, condemned arch-swindler Moist von Lipwig found himself with a noose around his neck and dropping through a trapdoor into ... a government job?

By all rights, Moist should be meeting his maker rather than being offered a position as Postmaster by Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork. Getting the moribund Postal Service up and running again, however, may prove an impossible task, what with literally mountains of decades-old undelivered mail clogging every nook and cranny of the broken-down post office. Worse still, Moist could swear the mail is talking to him. Worst of all, it means taking on the gargantuan, greedy Grand Trunk clacks communication monopoly and its bloodthirsty piratical headman. But if the bold and undoable are what's called for, Moist's the man for the job - to move the mail, continue breathing, get the girl, and specially deliver that invaluable commodity that every being, human or otherwise, requires: hope.
Kirkus Reviews calls it "a deeply satisfying comedy". SF Signal starts off with this: "REVIEW SUMMARY: Extremely funny offering by Pratchett, a true standout in a long series of quality books." SF Site says, "Going Postal is a wonderful book. ... There is no such thing as a boring character here, a standard or cardboard character." SF Reviews declares the author "delivers as well as he's ever done".

I've read the following Discworld books:

1) The Color of Magic
2) The Light Fantastic
3) Equal Rites
4) Mort
5) Sourcery
6) Wyrd Sisters
7) Pyramids
8) Guards! Guards!
21) Jingo

6 comments:

  1. I have never read a Discworld book, but I have "Good Omens", Pratchett´s collaboration with Neil Gaiman, on my shelf. I saw them push it at the Gothenburg book fair in 1999 or 2000, and found them very funny together. I think I must re-read it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've never read good omens, but it looks like fun.

      Delete
  2. It seems like order ceases to matter in series that go more than three books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it might be better to read them in order within character, so to read the city watch books in order and the rincewind books in order might make a difference. there are so many of these, tho, and it's hard for me to keep up with which ones i've read much less what the order is...

      Delete
    2. I was at half priced books on Friday and found the Color of Magic so I thought I would give it a shot.

      Delete
    3. i hope you like it. the good thing about this series is that if you like it there are plenty more. lol

      Delete